Monday, July 4, 2011

Value of a soul

Many a times, we as believers tend to be so consumed about our own affairs that the agenda of 'Reaching-Out', 'Evangelism', 'Connecting with Others', 'Sharing Christ' etc. seems to be diffusing away or simply swept under the carpet of a "its all about me" culture. To me, I am convicted that our desire to grow spiritually and walk with God is just as important as our hunger to see lives coming into the kingdom of God. Actually, by default, if we're close enough with God, that intimacy will stir up the PASSION in us to go and find lost souls.

The HEART OF EVANGELISM is really all about the value of a soul. Just like the parable of the lost sheep. Luke 15:6-7 Rejoice with me, because I have found my sheep which was lost. 7Thus, I tell you, there will be more joy in heaven over one [especially] wicked person who repents (changes his mind, abhorring his errors and misdeeds, and determines to enter upon a better course of life) than over ninety-nine righteous persons who have no need of repentance." Indeed, there is always a joyous celebration over the one 'lost' sheep that has been found, pointing to the repentance of an unbeliever, receiving salvation.  Jesus said in Hebrews 12:2 that "...for the JOY set before him....he endured the cross..." Everything that Jesus did on the cross was for the JOY that one day, lost souls will find its way back to the Father.   


God has given us all a COMMON ministry, not the ones some of us may be in now, like Creative ministries, Kids ministries, Carecell ministries and so on. It is the "Ministry of Reconciliation" as said in 2 Corinthians 5. This is the most important ministry that God has entrusted each one of us with. A question to ask ourselves is, "How are we managing this ministry?" , "Is the ministry alive and active?", "Are we taking ownership" of this ministry?". It is written, we''re all Christ's ambassadors and God has committed to us this message of reconciliation. We are called "Fishers of Men".... but are we constantly and consistently taking our nets, our fishing lines out in the open sea to do our fishing? The dangerous thing is that we believers become so comfortable in our walk with God, so consumed by our own agendas that we forgotten the agenda of God and lost the compassion for LOST SOULS, LOST SHEEP out in the world.


Whenever Jesus saw the crowds of lost souls, his heart will be filled with compassion. We need to ask God to fill our hearts with compassion, for us to see every individual out there without the love of God as sheep without Shepard, wondering around directionless, looking for love, hope and purpose. I like the lyrics of this song Hosanna from Hillsongs, especially the bridge:



Heal my heart and make it clean 
Open up my eyes to the things unseen
Show me how to love like you have loved me
 Break my heart from what breaks yours
Everything I am for your kingdoms cause
As I go from nothing to Eternity



What a powerful set of lyrics. These words are really anointed and I believe, whoever that wrote the lyrics must have encountered the very heart of God. These words above is a reminder for each one of us to continue to "love others" just like how God loves you.... "The great commandment..."; a reminder for each one of us to have that heart of compassion, to take the burden of how God is feeling for each lost soul...."The great commission..." and that I hope that this line can be a prayer for every believer out there that "Everything I am, is for your kingdoms cause.....that my life is lived to see your kingdom come...." Amen.


*The Church of Jesus Christ is not a pleasure boat, but a lifeboat for saving souls. 
(Reinhard Bonnke)

No comments:

Post a Comment